Samaritans delivers suicide prevention training for individuals as part of Rethink Mental Illness' contract with Camden and Islington Councils. This course is free to anyone who lives, works, studies or volunteers in the two boroughs throughout 2020.
See details of upcoming courses
Due to Covid-19 guidelines, this course, fully facilitated by a Samaritans Trainer, is now delivered remotely via the internet.
The course is delivered in three consecutive, two-hour sessions over one and a half days.
At the end of this course attendees will be able to:
- Understand the scale of the problem
- Recognise the factors that can lead to suicide
- Recognise signs of distress and suicidal thoughts
- Understand and acknowledge suicidal thoughts and feelings
- Show that you have listened, heard and understood
- Understand how talking about suicidal thoughts and feelings can be beneficial
- Feel confident to talk to someone who is feeling suicidal
- Signpost people to support.
The course is aimed at delegates whose job/volunteer role could bring them into contact with a suicidal person, providing them with the knowledge and skills to provide support to an individual.
In the first instance you must reserve your place by booking on the Eventbrite link. Attendance at all sessions is required to ensure you receive a certificate.
If you or someone you know requires emotional support, please call Samaritans’ free helpline 116 123.