15 June 2020: Update to guidance for referring patients with suspected prostate cancer
Please refer to this update to the North Central London (NCL) Cancer Alliance guidance (previously amended April 2020) for referring patients for suspected prostate cancer.
- GPs should continue to refer men with suspected prostate cancer on the current 2WW form
- GPs should undertake prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing in symptomatic patients in line with NICE guidelines (new lower urinary tract symptoms, visible haematuria, unexplained non-visible haematuria WITH dysuria or raised WCC on blood test)
- GPs should continue to undertake PSA testing in asymptomatic patients following Public Health England’s Prostate Cancer Risk Management Guidelines on the risks and benefits
- GPs should take the opportunity to discuss the need for men to attend secondary care for their investigations and address or reassure them regarding any concerns they have.
- We are aware that there are pressures on phlebotomy across NCL at this time but that efforts are being made to restore capacity as quickly as possible.